WASHINGTON—TODAY, August 4 at 12:15 p.m. ET / 10:15 a.m. MT, U.S. Senator Tom Udall (D-N.M.) and U.S. Representative Joe Neguse (D-Colo.) will hold a press call with farmworker and business leaders and public health advocates to announce the details of their landmark pesticide reform legislation, the Protect America’s Children from Toxic Pesticides Act of 2020 (PACTPA). The bill is the first major effort of its kind and would make the most comprehensive update in nearly 25 years to the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), which sets out the United States’ pesticide regulatory regime.
Each year, the United States uses over a billion pounds of pesticides — nearly a fifth of worldwide use. In 2017 and 2018, the Environmental Protection Agency approved more than 100 pesticides containing ingredients widely considered to be dangerous. Once approved, pesticides often remain on the market for decades, even when scientific evidence overwhelmingly shows a pesticide is causing harm to people or the environment. Udall and Neguse’s legislation would institute urgently-needed reforms to update protections for children, farmworkers, consumers, and the environment and close dangerous loopholes that prevent adequate pesticide review.
TODAY, August 4, 2020
WHAT: Udall and Neguse to hold press call with a panel of experts and health and environmental advocates on new legislation to provide urgently-needed updates to the law governing pesticide use in the United States
- U.S. Senator Tom Udall (D-N.M.)
- U.S. Representative Joe Neguse (D-Colo.)
- Lynn Goldman (MD, MS, MPH, FAAP), Michael and Lori Milken Dean of the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University, Former Assistant Administrator for the Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention at the Environmental Protection Agency
- Gary Hirshberg, co-founder and former CEO and Chairman of Stonyfield Organic
- Teresa Romero, President of the United Farm Workers (UFW)
WHEN: TODAY, Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 12:15 p.m. ET / 10:15 a.m. MT
HOW TO JOIN: Please email email@example.com to RSVP.