Included in the legislation is a historic expansion of Medicare’s benefits to include dental, vision, and hearing coverage for the first time in history of the program – a provision that will improve seniors’ quality of life and reduce Medicare spending. Funding to combat the opioid crisis and search for new cures is also included.
H.R. 3 will save approximately $500 billion over the next ten years – money that can be used to reinvest in New Mexico families.
The main sections of H.R. 3 include:
- Negotiating the price of up to 250 prescription drugs per year;
- Capping out-of-pocket costs on drug spending in Medicare and holding drug companies accountable for unfair tax hikes;
- Adding dental, vision, and hearing coverage for the first time.
Key NM-3 statistics:
- Under H.R. 3, New Mexico residents could spend 3.5 times less on insulin;
- Lowers the cost of cancer medications; 65% for breast cancer medications, 71% for leukemia medications, and 66% for prostate cancer;
- Under expansion of Medicare coverage for dental, vision, and hearing services in NM-03,
- About 99% of beneficiaries (137,500 people) stand to gain from adding a dental benefit
- About 91% of beneficiaries (126,200 people) stand to gain from adding a vision benefit
- About 92% of beneficiaries (127,100 people) stand to gain from adding a hearing benefit
Lowering health care costs has been a majority priority for Luján and the Democratic majority. Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional information.
A quote from the congressman is below:
“As the House prepares to take action on H.R. 3, we are delivering on our promise to the American people to lower health care costs and affirm that health care is a human right. New Mexico families shouldn’t have to choose between making ends meet and being able to afford their prescriptions,” said Luján. “I’m proud of my work to advance this legislation, and I look forward to it clearing the House with broad support.”