Spring Community Day at Los Luceros
Sheep Shearing and more Saturday, May 6 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Bring the whole family to an exciting day at the historic site of Los Luceros. You will experience how sheep get their annual haircut, and how wool is spun into yarn.
The enriching program includes:
- 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. – Demonstration of sheep shearing using hand shears by Kerry Mower
- 10 a.m. – Viewing of the documentary An Unbroken Thread: Wool & Weaving in Northern New Mexico, a 20-minute documentary teaches about the local wool history, explains the processing techniques and illustrates the many weaving techniques
- 11 a.m. – Demonstration of fleece skirting and sheep registration by Connie Taylor
- 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. – Demonstration of hand spinning in the grease by Glenna Dean
- 1 p.m. – Demonstration of fleece skirting and sheep registration by Connie Taylor
- 2 p.m. – Tour of historic Los Luceros Hacienda
- 2:30 p.m. – Tour of 18 th century adobe chapel
- 3 p.m. – Viewing of the documentary An Unbroken Thread: Wool & Weaving in Northern New Mexico
Music will accompany the entire event. Beverages and food will be offered for sale by a local 4-H group.
Donation: Suggested donation of $5 per vehicle.
How to get there:
Los Luceros is located north of Espanola off NM 68 in Rio Arriba County, on the road to Taos, approximately a 15-minute drive from the center of Espanola.
Heading north you pass the Juan de Onate monument (Heritage Center – Northern Rio Arriba Heritage Area) on your right and continue until you see a historic marker along the highway at the intersection of NM 68 and Los Luceros Road (County Road 48). Coming from Espanola, turn left onto Los Luceros Road and travel down a narrow residential road with houses and mobile homes on both sides.
At the T-intersection, the historic Los Luceros Hacienda is ahead of you. The main gate is slightly to your left and will be open for the event. Follow the unpaved road. Parking will be available in front of the visitor center.
See below for a map of the site. And for a flyer for the event.