Gov. Susana Martinez Announces 2015 New Mexico True Summer Reading Challenge
ALBUQUERQUE — Gov. Susana Martinez announced Wednesday details about the 2015 New Mexico True Summer Reading Challenge, designed to help prevent students from losing reading proficiency during the summer.
“Our challenge is simple: read more books during your summer vacation, and you can earn some amazing prizes,” Martinez said. “When our students read over the summer, they are better prepared for the upcoming school year. Everyone loves a challenge, especially when there are prizes. This is a win-win for students, parents, and teachers.”
The New Mexico True Summer Reading Challenge is open to all New Mexico elementary school children, ages 5 through 12.
All students who submit a completed log showing that they read six books will receive a New Mexico True bookmark and a certificate recognizing their accomplishment. Students who read 12 or more books and submit a short essay explaining why they love New Mexico will receive a New Mexico True bookmark, a certificate recognizing their accomplishment, and have their name entered in the random drawing for one of the following Grand Prizes:
- All-expense-paid family vacation to Disney’s Animal Kingdom in Orlando, Florida (1 reader)
- Hot air balloon ride with Governor Martinez and First Gentleman Chuck Franco, as well as four tickets to the Albuquerque Balloon Museum (2 readers)
- Family of four stay at Hotel Albuquerque, tickets to both the High Noon History Tour and the Ghost Tour of Old Town, and tickets for Sandia Peak Tramway rides (1 reader)
- Two tickets to ride the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad (1 reader)
- An adventure as a junior zookeeper for a day at the ABQ BioPark Zoo (4 readers)
- Meet a Lobo head basketball coach, receive free tickets to a Lobo basketball game, take part in a center-court ceremony at WisePies Arena aka The Pit, and receive an autographed Lobo basketball (3 readers)
- Meet an Aggie head basketball coach, receive free tickets to an Aggie basketball game, take part in a center-court ceremony at The Pan-Am Center, and receive an autographed Aggie basketball (3 readers)
- Family four-pack of admission tickets for the 2015 New Mexico State Fair and to a concert or rodeo event at Tingley Coliseum
- Fossil-digging adventure with the state’s paleontologist and a behind-the-scenes tour of the New Mexico Museum of Natural History (2 reader)
- An admission pass for 16 museums and monuments across the state (200 readers)
These prizes are made possible by the State of New Mexico and its partnership with: the City of Albuquerque, the ABQ Bio Park, the Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce, the Albuquerque Hispano Chamber of Commerce, Comcast Internet Essentials, Sandia Peak Tramway, Ghost Ranch, Heritage Hotels & Resorts, Tours of Old Town, Great Southwest Adventures, Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, X-Treme-Lee Fun Balloon Adventures, the University of New Mexico Athletic Department, the New Mexico State University Athletic Department, and R & C Sumthins.
The New Mexico True brochure and reading log will be distributed to students at public schools throughout the state. It is also available at all local libraries or can be downloaded and printed from the Public Education Department’s website. Entries must be postmarked by July 31, 2015.
Participating students must be New Mexico residents, and eligibility will be verified for any Grand Prize winner. For a complete listing of the eligibility requirements and rules regarding the challenge, visit the Public Education Department’s website.