Photos of Espanola Walmart taken Monday afternoon. Valley Daily Post
Española Walmart Closing Temporarily For Repairs
Staff Report from Press Release
“Over the next several weeks, we will be conducting an assessment of the ongoing foundation and drainage issues at our store in Española, NM and, beginning in mid-September, we expect to temporarily close the store for approximately eight weeks to undertake the needed repairs,” company spokesperson Delia Garcia said. “During the temporary store closure, associates will continue their regular employment with Walmart and the Pharmacy will remain open to customers. We know how important our store is to local families who shop with us and we are committed to returning the store to full operation as quickly as possible.”
Temporary Closure Schedule:
- Over the next several weeks, a team of professionals will assess the store’s ongoing foundation and drainage issues to determine the full scope of repairs that need to be done. The store will remain open during this assessment period.
- Because the ongoing issues affect the store’s foundation and drainage system, some excavation will be necessary, making it necessary to temporarily close the store once the work begins. We won’t know the full scope of work until the assessment period is complete.
- To minimize customer disruption, we have accelerated the store’s regularly scheduled remodel to coincide with the temporary closure and will be simultaneously doing remodeling work that would otherwise have been done next year. Remodeling work will include fresh interior and exterior paint, new fixtures in customer restrooms, and general improvements to enhance the customer experience in our store.
- We expect the assessment period to last approximately six weeks with the temporary closure projected to begin the week of Sept. 19 and lasting approximately eight weeks. We anticipate some areas may remain closed to customers longer than that, but we won’t know which areas or how long until we get in and start doing that work. We will post announcements in store to keep customers apprised of the final timeline.
- The Pharmacy will remain open throughout the duration of the temporary closure and customers will continue to fill their prescriptions without interruption. At this time, our plan is to set up a temporary entrance that will allow access to the Pharmacy while restricting access to the remainder of the store. We will share more details with customers once the plan is finalized.
- We are taking care of our associates during this time. All associates will continue to work normal schedules during the assessment period and will maintain their employment with Walmart throughout the temporary closure. Some associates will continue to work at the Española store assisting with the remodeling work, while others might be temporarily assigned to stores in Santa Fe or Taos.