Apply now to attend the 2019 Summer Physics Camp for Young Women. Courtesy photo.
2019 Summer Physics Camp for Young Women
A two-week camp for young women that focuses on the physics of the Sun, Earth and everything in between.
Los Alamos National Laboratory, New Mexico Consortium and Pojoaque Valley High School are hosting a two-week Summer Physics Camp for Young Women in Northern New Mexico.
The camp will focus on boosting an understanding of the physics of the Sun, Earth, and everything in between, as well as introduce students on how to make some tasks fun by learning the basics on how to write your own computer programs. The camp will also introduce students to the variety of opportunities for internships at LANL.
Daily activities include demonstrations, hands-on laboratory experiments, and discussions with female scientists and engineers from Los Alamos National Laboratory.
One day will be dedicated to visiting Los Alamos National Laboratory research facilities, which may include the Los Alamos Neutron Science Center, the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, the Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies and the NMC Biolab.
This summer camp is free to students and lunch will be provided. Participants who complete the program will be provided a stipend. Transportation from NM Park and Ride depot in Pojoaque (Cities of Gold parking area) can be arranged.
- Young women attending high school in Northern New Mexico
- Completion of Algebra I or high-level math course
How to apply
- Send us letter expressing why you are interested in this program, how you believe this program will be useful to you, your current career interests.
- Ask a teacher from your school to send us a letter supporting your participation.
- Ask your school to send us your high school transcript or equivalent that shows that you have completed Algebra I or higher-level math course.
Send all documents to email@example.com by 4/15/2019
Interested in becoming a sponsor
The success of the Summer Physics Camp depends on our wonderful sponsors. We appreciate the support and do our best in exhibiting their business. Donations are tax deductable and can be sent to:
New Mexico Consortium Inc.
Attn: Thea Vernon-SPCYW
4200 West Jemez Rd., Suite 301
Los Alamos, NM 87544