2017 Annual Fruit Grower Workshop
2017 Annual Fruit Grower Workshop is scheduled for March 2 at Los Luceros property in Alcalde.
This year’s workshop will have presentations on growing fruit in New Mexico, organic fruit production, soil biology & building, food safety requirements, pruning, and more.
See below for an agenda and information on how to register.
Time/Date: 8:30-3:30, March 2, 2017
Location: Los Luceros Ranch, Alcalde, NM ( North of Espanola, along Highway 68, pass mile mark 8 before mile mark 9, turn west from highway 68 to County Road (CR) 0048/Los Luceros, drive 0.5 miles on this road and you will see the sign of Los Luceros Ranch. )
The fee will be $15 from Feb. 15 to Feb. 22. The cutoff date is Feb. 22 due to accurate head count needed to ensure enough food for everyone. Pre-registration fee for meal and materials is: $12 per person before Feb. 15 and $15 after Feb. 15. To pre-register, please call Joy at Santa Fe County Extension Office at 505-471-4711 or Anna at NMSU Alcalde Center at 505-852-4241.
Submit payment to the Santa Fe County Extension Office or make checks payable to New Mexico State University and mail checks to: Santa Fe County Extension Office Attn: Joy Czmyrid 3229 Rodeo Road Santa Fe, NM 87507
Should you have any questions regarding this workshop, please feel free to contact Shengrui Yao at 505-852 -4241, Tom Dominguez at 505-471-4711, or Don Martinez at 505- 685-4523. If you are an individual with a disability who is in need of an auxiliary aid or service to participate in the meeting, please contact Donald Martinez by Feb. 25, 2017 at 505-685-4523 or via email at email@example.com
- 8:30-9:00 Registration
- 9:00-9:30 USDA Agricultural Survey (USDA NASS) and Crop Selection App (John Garlish)
- 9:30-10:15 Growing Fruit in New Mexico: How to Manage Insect Pests using IPM (Ashley Bennett)
- 10:15-10:30 Coffee break
- 10:30-11:10 Organic Fruit Production (Shengrui Yao)
- 11:10-12:00 Soil Biology and Soil Building (Rudy Garcia)
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch break (Lunch will be provided)
- 12:30-1:00 FSMA Food Safety Requirement (Don Martinez+ Tom Dominguez)
- 1:00-1:45 Optional 1: Fruit Tree Pruning Basics (Shengrui Yao) Option 2: Tour of Los Luceros Ranch
- 1:45-3:30 Fruit tree pruning demonstration at Los Luceros Ranch and NMSU Alcalde Center (Apple, peach, cherry, plum and apricot including high-density apples) (Agent group).
New Mexico State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer/educator.
All programs are available to everyone regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, handicap, or national origin.